This recipe takes me back to those special mornings of being woken up by the delicious smell of bacon, onions and potatoes ready to be devoured by my gleeful young self. With some added health benefits to this spin on a breakfast hash, you can enjoy your breakfast knowing your body is enjoying it too.
Nutrient Dense Breakfast Hash
- Large skillet with a lid
- 2 cups(60g) purple kale finely ripped up
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz uncured, sugar free bacon cut up into 1/2inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (180g) medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz(340g) potatoes shredded (I use colored fingerlings)
- 6 eggs pasture-raised
- 1 1/2(125g) cups raw cheddar cheese, shredded (omit for dairy free)
- 2 tbs parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tbs chives roughly chopped
- Pour apple cider vinegar and salt over the kale to soften the kale and let sit while cooking the bacon.
- Cook bacon pieces on a medium high heat, until they begin to shrink in size and crisp around the edges. About 5 minutes.
- Add in kale mix, garlic, onions and dried seasonings. Saute together just before the onions start turning a little translucent. Another 5 minutes.
- Add in the shredded potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. At this point you don't really want to stir all that much so as to brown the potatoes.
- Once the potatoes have softened and browned a little, make 6 wells in the potato and vegetable mix and crack eggs right into the wells. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add shredded cheese and fresh herbs and enjoy!